Friday, October 21, 2011

Voyage


I recently heard this song, and it really struck a cord with me, and then got me thinking about more:


As a college student, i have come to more fully realize just how unpredictable life can be. Like the sea, one moment you can be sailing along, the next, a sudden storm sets you on edge. You can't stop living, or "sailing". Some people try to control it, planning and guarding and scheming. But living a life glued to the radar, looking for the next storm or trial, puttering along with everything tied down tight so it can't blow away in the storm is guaranteed to make the journey no fun. One of the best things about being out on the water is its unpredictability - the sudden roll as you go over a wake, the breathtaking moment when you see the reflection of the sun shimmering, or the splash that wakes you up from being too comfortable. You have to let the wind whip your hair around, and laugh, not worried about what someone else will think. Sometimes you get a little burned and it stings, but you don't stop enjoying the sun and the sailing because of it. You keep going, enjoying the ride.

You get to enjoy the ride because you don't get to be the captain. You may try to grab the wheel, but you haven't the slightest clue how to steer. So sit yourself down and enjoy the ride! You may have a request of where the course may go, but ultimately, the captain gets to drive. And no matter how much you think you know better or try to tell him how to do his job, he will always be better at it than you could ever be. Because not only does he steer the ship, he also built the ship. He knows how it should work. He knows the way the pieces of the ship work together seamlessly to help it be ready for the waves. You are his precious cargo, and he knows how to keep your head above the water. And if you aren't on his ship, than you are utterly tossed by any storms that come - the waves will overwhelm you, pull you in, beat you down. But the great thing is that you can have this:  " He sent from on high, he took me; He drew me out if many waters. He rescued me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me...He brought me into a broad place, he rescued me, because He delighted in me." (Psalm 18:16)

We dont have to worry about the course of our lives - He's got that under control. But we do have to set foot on the ship, and we do get to choose how we will view our time there. For me, I look forward to spending my life on the deck, arms open, wind in my hair, or rain on my head, with Him at the helm.


"Voyage"

O Lord of the Oceans,
My little bark sails on a restless sea,
Grant that Jesus may sit at the helm and steer me safely;
Suffer no adverse currents to divert my heavenward course;
Let my faith not be wrecked amid storms and shoals;
Bring me to harbor with flying pennants,
hull unbreached, cargo unspoiled.

I ask great things,
expect great things,
shall recieve great things.
I venture on thee wholly, fully,
my wind, sunshine, anchor, defense.

The voyage is long,
the waves high, the storms pitiless,
but my helm is held steady, 
the Word secures safe passage,
thy grave wafts me onward,
my haven is guaranteed.

This day will bring me nearer home,
Grant me holy consistency in every transaction,
my peace flowing as a running time,
my righteousness as every chasing wave.

Help me to live circumspectly,
with skill to convert every care into prayer,
Halo my path with gentleness and love,
smooth every asperity of temper;
let me not forget how easy it is to occasion grief;
may I strive to bind up every wound,
and pour oil on troubled waters.

May world this day be better, and happier, because I live.

Let my mast before me be the Saviors' Cross,
and every oncoming wave the fountain from in his side.
Help me, protect me in the moving sea
until I reach the shore of unceasing praise.
- Valley of Vision, "Voyage"




No comments:

Post a Comment